Well I’m back to work this week after a few weeks off. Â This year’s Christmas break was the same as many in the past – a time to catch my breath, have a few days with no schedule and then try to cram too much into the last few days of it before I have to spend most of the good hours of the day at work.
While I had some time off, I:
- Started and finished Christmas shopping. Â Not sure what was up this year (late Thanksgiving maybe?) but I was really late getting going on getting gifts. Â It’s not like I had a lot to buy, so other than the last minute trip to Ebay to get my Son’s most desired PS4, the late start didn’t cause any real issue.
- Got to hang out with my family. Â My Aunt, Uncle and Cousin from Virginia stayed with us for a few days over the break. Â Always good to have more people in the house.
- Got some really cool gifts. Â Two of my favorites are the VitaMix (yes, it will blend…and yes, I know that’s a different company) and the Leatherman MUT. Â Both should be useful.
- Went bowling. Â Realized I suck at bowling.
- Hacked a bit. Â I got (for myself) a Raspberry Pi and started to play around with it. Â I spent a lot of time (and $) about 5 years ago playing around with building home theater PCs. Â Amazing what you can get for $35 and a few downloads now. Â I plan ti play some more and get one to control the greenhouse watering the spring.
- Played grease monkey. Â My 56 Willy’s Jeep engine is still trying to rebuild itself – and I seem to keep getting in the way. Â I generally know what I am doing…it’s the specifics that keep slowing me down. Â My goal is to have it running by my birthday and the good news is I have one of those each and every year.
- Updated my Son’s room. Â He’s a few months away from being a teenager, so all the kids furniture had to go. Â A trip to my parent’s basement, to IKEA and to Amazon seems to have fixed him up for now.
- Sent some lead downrange. Â The monthly IDPA match at my local club was cancelled in December due to weather and it was pretty cold on the first Saturday in January, so I was interested to see who showed up. Â 7 brave souls (plus me) stood out in the sub zero weather for a few hours. Â I didn’t shoot my best, but still managed to come in a close 3rd.
- Went to an AFC Wildcard game with my son. Â It was a great experience. Â Too bad the home team broke my heart. Â Again. Â Still.
I’m sure I forgot a few things, but that was pretty much my break. Â Should be enough to keep me going through the next few months before any more extended time off.